The sumptuous taste, the ease of customization of ingredients, and best of all the juiciness of well-prepared chicken – who can resist? In this guide, we have for you the best baked bbq chicken drumsticks recipes for a lazy weekend or weeknight. Along with this recipe, you will find some excellent sauce and side dish recommendations as well. Yes, that’s right, chicken drumsticks require a “backup meal” to make things more interesting.
How to Make BBQ Chicken in Oven
Taking cues from the grilled version of this recipe, this chicken has to get a quick sear under the broiler. The broiler will help brown the skin, and then provide a longer roast in the oven until the chicken becomes tender,
Performing a quick marinade in some barbecue sauce before the roasting process will improve the chicken’s flavor and tenderness. Also, adding some barbecue sauce will help bake the skin and help to caramelize the chicken when cooking.
Baked BBQ Chicken Tips
- It would be great to cook the chicken on a metal rack and use a baking sheet. Using this method will ensure the even heat and continuous flow of air on all sides. More so, it will help prevent issues such as soggy skin. Remember that even if the chicken gets a nice grilled flavor from the broiler, the skin won’t necessarily get as crispy.
- You can also consider preparing this recipe with some chicken legs. Also, you can make it with a mix of legs and some things. For the ideal flavor, it would be best to go for the dark meat cuts, and keep away from breast meat.
- You can also use various types of thick, tomato, or mustard-based sauces when using this approach. For this baked bbq chicken recipe, consider a spicy store-bought tomato barbecue sauce, with some vinegar and sugar.
- Consider broiling at the end. Once you are done cooking the chicken, if the skin is as crisp as it should be, move the oven rack up, and turn on the broiler. Keep track of its use for a few minutes to ensure the best results.
- Cook the chicken on a baking rack. Get a rack nestled into your rimmed baking sheet to help elevate the chicken. Also, this will help circulate air around the entire chicken, compared to just letting it cook in the juices. Using this method means that you have to keep the skin side up the whole time, with no need to flip the chicken.
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Marinate the chicken. Place the chicken legs in a shallow dish, and sprinkle the sides with some salt. If you have some liquid smoke, mix it with the barbecue sauce. Then, brush the legs with some barbecue sauce, and keep the remaining sauce. Once it’s complete, cover it and place it in a fridge to marinate for a few minutes, or perhaps over the night.
- Prepare the chicken for the cooking process. Adjust the broiler to “high” and get a rack positioned a few inches below. Then, line a baking sheet with some aluminum foil and also place a metal cooling rack inside. Arrange the marinated chicken legs on the wire rack, and maintain some space between the legs.
- Sear the chicken. After that, place the pan under the broiler, and then broil the chicken on one side until it gets dark brown spots. On average, this process should take 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and sear the second side of the chicken until it becomes brown, for a few additional minutes.
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees F and reposition the rack to sit in the middle section of the oven.
- Complete the cooking process. You will then have to brush the chicken all over with a tablespoon. Then, place the chicken in the oven and bake it for a few minutes. Once its complete, flip the chicken and apply the remaining sauce to the correct sections.
- Keep baking the chicken until the chicken’s temperature averages at 165 degrees Fahrenheit for a few additional minutes.
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks - Recipe 1
With this recipe, adding some liquid smoke will help impart a taste of smokiness to the chicken. Remember to get when you for the other condiments when in the grocery store.
Plus, you can increase this recipe to suit a large crowd, by ensuring it retains some space between each leg on the pan. Also, you can cook the chicken in batches if required.
- 2 pounds of chicken legs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
How to Get Crispy Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven
This approach involves making a crispy baked crust on the chicken legs, which is a relatively simple process. That said, you may have to watch the chicken drumsticks as they cook, and clean them with some BBQ sauce. It’s the same thing as you would have done when you have smoked chicken drumsticks.
- The first step is to add the chicken to the oven and on a cooling rack. Avoid placing it directly on the baking sheet.
- Using this approach will make it easy to lift the chicken from the baking sheet. Thus, air can move evenly around the chicken and ensure its crisp, rather than becoming soggy.
- Let the chicken bake for a few additional minutes before you add the bbq sauce. The result at this point is that the chicken should be crispy, and the fat around the drumstick should also break down.
- Try and flip the chicken drumsticks after a few minutes to ensure it cooks evenly on all sides.
- It would also be great to use tongs that are coated with heat resistant silicone. Using this approach will ensure the chicken won’t stick on the sheet, and the BBQ sauce.
- Get a silicone brush, and brush the chicken lightly with some bbq sauce. Also, you may have to flip it on its side each time you want to add some seasoning. On average, this process should take 10 minutes and until you use up all the sauce.
- Once the cooking completes, turn on the broiler, and broil it for five minutes on either side. Using such a method will ensure the chicken gets an extra crunch under the skin.
- Remove the chicken when it still looks bubbly and shiny. Watch the cooking process and ensure the chicken won’t burn.
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – Recipe 2
- 8-10 chicken thighs and drumsticks with the bone intact
- 1 cup of bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons of virgin oil
- Preheat an oven until it reaches 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Coat the chicken on all sides with some olive oil and season it with some pepper or salt
- Then, put the chicken skin side down and place it on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, the chicken for 20 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees
- Coat the top of the chicken with some barbecue sauce, and use a basting brush. Also, get a spatula to help you flip the chicken over and ensure you don’t tear the chicken’s skin. Also, baste the other side of the chicken, and put it back in the oven for a few minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and baste the top section with some barbecue sauce. Then, place it back in the oven for a few more minutes.
- Remove it from the oven, and baste it again for an average of three times, then place it back in the oven for a few more minutes.
- If the chicken has not crisped or browned to your liking, you can move the oven rack up, and broil the chicken for a few more minutes.
- To get super crispy chicken, you may have to dry the chicken before the cooking process
- Consider placing the chicken side up from the first step on a baking rack, and with a rimmed baking sheet. Using this method will ensure the chicken won’t sit in its juices, which will make the chicken way more crispy when cooking. Then, bake it for 20 minutes and add some sauce as required. Remember not to flip the chicken as you cook.
- Also, consider leaving the bone, chicken, and skin on the chicken to ensure its juicy enough each time. If you use chicken breasts, go for this approach.
- If you want to go boneless and skinless chicken breasts, consider baking them initially for a few minutes. Then add some bbq sauce on the top, and flip the chicken. Continue basting them in the BBQ sauce every 7 minutes a few times. Using this method will ensure the cooking time reduces to about 30 minutes. At this point, the chicken should be through cooking, and it would be best if you have a meat thermometer.
Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks – Recipe 3
It’s an easy recipe for bbq chicken, whereby you can expect drumsticks with exceptional taste and flavor.
- 3 pounds of chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground paprika
- 1 freshly chopped onion
- ½ cup of barbecue sauce
- 2 freshly chopped peppers
- 1 tablespoon of creamy horseradish
- 3 freshly grated garlic cloves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then cover it with some baking sheet with foil, and place it on some parchment paper to make it easy to clean.
- Prepare the marinade and combine it with a few key ingredients. These include oil, garlic, salt, paprika, pepper, and horseradish. Then, pour it over the chicken legs and mix it correctly. Once it’s complete, add some freshly chopped onions and repeat the mixing process.
- Cover the chicken, and keep it in the fridge for a few hours, or all through the night
- Layout the chicken on a baking sheet, and remove the onions
- Bake it for 30 minutes, until the skin on the drumstick becomes crispy. The baking time may vary, and may depend on aspects such as the size of the drumsticks in the oven.
- Coat the drumsticks generously with some barbecue sauce. Then, return it to the oven, and keep baking it for an additional 10 minutes.
- Enjoy immediately.
Best Side Dishes for Baked BBQ Chicken
When the summer comes around, the hot weather threatens to take over; there is nothing better than when you can enjoy healthy summer food on a lazy day. These side dishes are simple to prepare and are perfect for BBQ meats and more.
Roasted Potato Salad with Creamy Dijon Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons of virgin oil
- 2 freshly chopped pieces of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 freshly chopped pepper
- 1 freshly chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons of minced thyme
Step 1 – Put the chicken in a large baking sheet in an oven. Then preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and ensure the baking sheet stays inside.
Step 2 – Mix the potatoes, the oil, garlic, and thyme in a bowl. Then mix it around to coat. Place the potato mixture on the preheated baking sheet, and add some salt and pepper to the mixture. Next, bake it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, until the chicken becomes brown and tender in color. Remember to turn the chicken after 20 minutes.
Step 3 – Combine the remaining oil, salt, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and pepper in a small bowl. Then, ensure you stir well with a whisk and drizzle the dressing over the potatoes.
Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese and Basil
- 3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1 freshly chopped garlic clove
- 4 medium tomatoes
- ½ small basil leaves
- 1.5 ounces of goat cheese crushed
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped pepper
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- The first step is to mix the pepper, cloves, vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Mix it with a whisk, and then add some freshly chopped basil and tomatoes to the mixture.
- Then, toss it around to coat it with the sauce.
- Cover it, and let it sit for a few minutes. Top the meal with some basil leaves and goat cheese for a better flavor.
Summer Bean Salad
- 2 tablespoons of virgin oil
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 freshly chopped thyme
- 3 freshly chopped peppers
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 cups of water
- 5 ounces of fresh yellow wax beans cut into ½ inch sizes
- 1 cup of peeled fava beans
- 2 freshly chopped tomatoes
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- 1 unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of canola mayonnaise
- Freshly chopped coriander
How to Make It
Combine the rind, oil, lemon juice, pepper, thyme and salt, in a large bowl. Then stir with a which to ensure the best results
Place 8 cups of water in a saucepan and let it boil. Add some wax beans, and let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Then, add some fava beans to the pan and cook for three more minutes until the beans are tender. Drain and rinse the meal with some cold water. Again drain, and add some onions, cherry tomatoes, and chickpeas to the dressing.
Mix the remaining lemon juice, freshly chopped pepper, mayonnaise, and chives by using a small bowl. Stir it with a whisk, until it becomes tender. Let it sit for a few minutes and drizzle the mayonnaise mixture over the beans.
Best Sauces for BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 cups of packed basil leaves
- 2 freshly chopped cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 2/3 cup of extra virgin oil divided
- Kosher salt and some freshly chopped pepper to taste
- ½ cup of freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Mix the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor. Then, break it down until it’s coarsely chopped. Add some oil and process until it’s smooth and well blended. Season the meat with some pepper and salt.
- If using it immediately, add the remaining oil to the meal, and blend it until it’s smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large bowl, and also mix the cheese.
- If it’s freezing, transfer it to an airtight container and drizzle the remaining oil on top. Freeze the meal and store if you will need it in the future.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut cream skimmed from the top
- 1 tablespoon of Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup of chicken broth, homemade or low sodium canned
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon
Stir fry the coconut cream in a small pan, with some medium heat. Ensure you heat it until the oil separates and sizzles for a few minutes. Then add some curry paste, and stir fry until its fragrant, which should take a few minutes.
Whisk in the broth, peanut butter, fish sauce, and coconut milk. Let it boil over medium-high heat and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer while stirring until it thickens. This process should take 10 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl, and let it cool at room temperature. Add the lime juice before you serve.
Honey BBQ Sauce
This sauce involves the use of a ketchup base, which is ideal for pleasing all palates. More so, the remaining 8 ingredients are the ones that you likely have with you in the pantry. Thus, this makes up for a quick and simple to prepare recipe. Also, remember to use smoked paprika, rather than regular paprika. Using the smoked type will make a significant impact on the taste of your meal.
Here are the ingredients you need for the recipe:
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Freshly chopped pepper
How to Make Honey BBQ Sauce
Preparing BBQ sauce at home is a simple process. The most important aspect is to ensure you let the sauce simmer. Letting the sauce simmer will ensure all the flavors combine well, and that the sauces thickens up as required.
Follow these 3 simple steps, and you will notice how easy it is to prepare homemade bbq sauce in the kitchen.
- Combine the ingredients – to start, get a medium saucepan, and start stirring to mix all the ingredients.
- Boil and simmer – let the sauce boil using medium heat, and then reduce it to low. Then, let it simmer for a few additional minutes to ensure the best results.
- Cool and serve – once the sauce thickens, remove it from the heat and let it cool.
The sauce should be ready to consume right away, and you can serve it immediately. If you want to prepare it ahead of time, consider storing the sauce in a fridge, and use an airtight glass jar.
Here Are A Few Ways to Use BBQ Sauce for Chicken
- Brush the sauce into veggies before the grilling process
- Coat some portobello mushroom in this sauce. Place it on the grill, and then use it as a sumptuous and meatless patty for your bugger.
- You can pour it over the chicken thighs and let it bake in the oven.
- Sear a juicy steak, and then add some bbq sauce at the end of the cooking process. You should let it sit for just long enough to warm up.
- Mix a small spoonful into some ranch dressing, and smother the burger buns in the sauce
- Mix it into some mayonnaise, and dip the French fries to the sauce
- Add some sauce to the potato salad, to provide a smoky taste.
- Simmer the meatballs in the sauce, and you can serve them as an appetizer.